Link to the visually impaired version of www.chrishigh.com

Chris High reviews on www.chrishigh.com


Enjoy short stories? Click to read Chris High tales online.

BACK TO TOP

 

 

 

 

  

Review: Theatre

MUM'S THE WORD

Bernie Nolan, Michelle Gayle, Kim Hartman, Rebecca Wheatley, Daniele Coombe

Director: Wayne Harrison
A Robert Kelly Presentation
Liverpool Empire Theatre
February 26th, 2007

Promotional image for @Mum's the Word'.

MUM'S THE WORD


Motherhood, some say, is “a job for life” whereas others see it as more of a “life sentence”. Whichever way Mum’s The Word is looked upon, however, no better moniker could be given to it than “classy entertainment”.


Five women – Robin (Nolan), Jill (Gayle) Alison (Hartson), Deborah (Wheatley) and Barbara (Coombe) – are all married women who have joined “The Club” that is motherhood, despite their best efforts to avoid it. Here, in a stream of monologues that are uplifting and moving, each actress also has their fair share of hilarious observation to give out and include breast milk fights to rocking their babies to sleep … if only for five minutes … in their repertoire.

Highlight of the evening though is, without doubt the “Puppetry Of The Penis” section, in which we men are mercilessly ridiculed, belittled and banished to the furthest corner of the bedroom in shame.

The script is tight without being rigid, observant without being lecturing and the performances of each actress is exemplary. Bernie Nolan and Kim Hartman hold the plot together superbly well, with Nolan’s character trying to communicate her feelings through “Dear Partner” letters and Hartman’s relating the tale of her child’s premature birth being a delight to watch. On the manic side, Daniele Coombe is a delight to superb as her character becomes more and more embroiled in the process of rearing growing children, whereas Rebecca Wheatley is deliciously cynical about the whole thing and probably has the most consistently funny lines including “Every day I start out Mary Poppins but end up Cruella De Vil”.

For her part, Michele Gayle has the slightly lesser role, but nonetheless still managed to deliver in her role as Rock Chick has been, Jill.

The audience – 95% of which were women – lapped it up and it’s a sure thing that the remaining 5% of the audience did too.

And why not? This, after all, was superb entertainment
8/10

www.robertckelly.co.uk

Theatre Royal Nottingham Monday 5 to Saturday 10 February 2007
Grand Theatre Blackpool Monday 12 to Saturday 17 February 2007
New Theatre Hull Monday 19 to Saturday 24 February 2007
Liverpool Empire Sunday 25 to Wednesday 28 February 2007
Venue Cymru Llandudno Thursday 1 and Friday 2 March 2007
New Victoria Theatre Woking Monday 5 to Saturday 10 March 2007
Beck Theatre Hayes Monday 12 to Wednesday 14 March 2007
Sunderland Empire Monday 26 to Saturday 31 March 2007
Lighthouse Poole Monday 2 to Saturday 7 April 2007
Palace Theatre Southend on Sea Monday 16 to Saturday 21 April 2007
Alexandra Theatre Birmingham Monday 23 to Saturday 28 April 2007
Billingham Forum Monday 30 April to Saturday 5 May 2007
Whitehall Theatre Dundee Monday 7 to Saturday 12 May 2007
Manchester Palace Monday 14 to Saturday 19 May 2007
Glasgow Pavilion Monday 21 May to Saturday 10 June 2007
Wycombe Swan Monday 11 to Saturday 16 June 2007
Bromley Churchill Theatre Monday 18 to Saturday 23 June 2007
Bristol Hippodrome Monday 25 to Saturday 30 June 2007

 

Click here to view details and book for the Liverpool Empire Theatre


BOOKS | MOVIES | ALBUMS | THEATRE | GIGS

RETURN TO HOME PAGE


BACK TO TOP
   Maybe you would like to add your comments to this review of 'Mum's The Word' live at the Liverpool Empire Theatre in February 2007?
If so - please feel free to leave your FEEDBACK

“Writing gets me away for a while' from this world and into one where I, alone, can make or
break the rules as I see fit.” - Chris High 2003.
Site designed and maintained by Steve Bennett 2007 all rights reserved